How do I know if my electrical problem requires a professional electrician?

The Sydney electrician team at Electrician To The Rescue can’t stress this point enough – you can’t take chances with electricity.

A small or minor fault today can be a huge problem tomorrow – don’t wait till it is too late! Here are the signs that it’s time to call an electrician.

  • Circuit breakers and blown fuses – circuit breakers do trip and fuses blow from time to time, however if you find you are frequently replacing a fuse or have to reset a circuit breaker it is a sign you have a problem. Call Electrician To The Rescue to find and fix the source of the problem.
  • Flickering lights – one flickering light is often just a sign that a bulb needs replacing and you don’t need an electrician for that, but if the light still continues to flicker after you have replaced the bulb, or it is continuing to happen – it could be an issue with your wiring
  • A *buzzing* sound – if you hear a buzzing sound coming from your light switch or power point it is a sign of a serious problem that should be looked at by Sydney electricians

Electrical shocks – there is something wrong if you get an electrical shock when turning on a light switch or plugging in an appliance. It could be frayed wiring. Minor shocks can lead to major shocks – or even a fire. DO NOT TRY AND FIX THE PROBLEM YOURSELF. You can easily make a mistake; always call in the professional Sydney electricians from Electrician To The Rescue

  • A burning smell – electrical fires have a very distinctive acrid burning smell, and if you are lucky that will be the indication of just a small fire, but if you ignore it the material around the wire that’s causing the smell it can catch on fire and then you have a house fire to deal with

Discoloured switches and power points – if you ignore that buzzing sound a small fire that starts up behind the light switch or power point might show up as charring or discoloration. If you find an outlet is discoloured call Electrician To The Rescue immediately.

Signs that the Wiring in Your Home is Faulty

When you live on an older property, you need to be extra careful about the wiring in your home. The reason this is important is because like the other features in your home, you can’t really see the wiring; almost all of it is concealed, after all. So how then would you know if and when something goes wrong? There are certain signs you should look out for, which indicate that there may be some issues with the wiring in your home:

  • Fuses blowing or circuit breakers tripping– Circuit breakers are the safety installations that help in preventing fire & electrocution, as they cut-off or trip the power supply in case there is some alteration in the regular flow of electricity in your home. Circuit breakers have to be reset, and older homes tend to have fuses that have to be replaced when they blow-out. If you find that you have to either reset or replace these safety devices too often, it can mean there is a need to get the wiring examined from an electrician, as soon as possible. This is why it’s important to keep handy the contact details of good local electrician.
  • Dimming/flickering of light– Whenever excessive power is used by any appliance when it’s plugged-in & switched-on, the lights can get momentarily dimmed or you may notice that some lights are flickering. This can be an indication of faulty wiring. At times, this may indicate that you have an older circuit breaker in your home that would need to be replaced.
  • Discoloration of switches and sockets– If a power outlet has a charred surface that can be a very bad sign; and it’s important that you get it replaced without delay. If the wiring is faulty or if there is a loose connection, that can result in arcing in the socket and can cause a small fire. This is what causes discoloration in the fitting.
  • Burning smell– If you smell something burning in your home, it’s something you shouldn’t ignore at all. If there is a short circuit or an electrical fire, that causes the brief burn and the acrid smell. If you have noticed a burning smell, but aren’t able to identify its source, it’s important that you call in a skilled local residential electrical.
  • Switches or sockets that give an electrical shock– These are a sure-shot indication that there is a fault in the wiring, at some point. The problem could like either in the wiring or in the actual outlet. Sometimes, the issue could be in the electrical wiring of a certain appliance.