How to reduce your energy costs at home
Sadly electricity bills keep going up so it is worth trying to keep your energy use down. Thankfully there are so many different energy efficient solutions and products available to help and there are a few simple things you can do at home to help reduce your bills. Today Electrician To The Rescue is happy to share some tips to help save you money.
- Switch to LED globes – LED globes have been proven to reduce your energy costs and there are so many benefits to switching from the old outdated halogen globes to LED globes. LED globes need less maintenance, they use less power, create different lighting *shades* so are perfect for different settings and they have a longer *life expectancy*
- Switch the power off at the wall – even in standby mode all big appliances are using energy and costing you money. You can actually save up to 30% on your electricity bill by switching your appliances off at the powerpoints when you’re not using them
- Use power boards – If you have all of your appliances plugged into one power board you can switch them all off when you go to bed with the flick of just one switch. Sydney electricians from Electrician To The Rescue suggest you use power boards that are fitted with a safety switch
- Switch off the lights – when you leave the room, switch off the light – it’s amazing how many people leave the light on when they don’t need to.
- When you are cooking – plan ahead – you would probably be surprised to learn that the oven and the microwave use a lot of energy so try and plan ahead and avoid using them, simply thaw your food out during the day – rather than using the microwave – and put the lids on your saucepans to help the food cook faster. Don’t use your dishwasher unless you have to, wait till its’ full and use it on the economy cycle.
Today the Sydney electricians from Electrician To The Rescue would like to share some energy saving tips – these little simple reductions can help save you money every month on your electricity bills. While the savings might not seem like much – they do add up over the course of a year!
It’s so easy to make just a few simple changes….
In your lounge room
- When not in use switch your appliances off at the wall – TV’s, stereos, DVD players, game consoles etc – even in stand-by mode they use power
- Why not use a power board, this way when you switch off the power at the power point you can switch off multiple appliances at the same time.
- Did you know lamps use less power than your overhead lights or spotlights, so if you only need a small amount of lighting – use lamps.
- It goes without saying these days – always choose energy saving globes, if you haven’t already change your old light globes over to compact fluorescent ones.
- Sydney electricians know when you are not in a room using the lighting – turn it off.
In your kitchen….
- Keep lids on when cooking – your food will actually cook faster plus you will reduce the amount of energy being used to cook your food
- Always use an electric kettle to boil water
- Electrician To The Rescue suggests thawing your food out in the fridge – it reduces cooking time, and if you thaw food in your microwave you are using more energy than allowing food to thaw gradually. When using the oven try and avoid opening the door.
- Only use your dishwasher when it is full – this helps you save on water usage and charges as well. Use the economy cycle setting for everyday dishwashing.
- Keep your fridge and or freezers in cool and well ventilated spots – away from your oven and out of direct sunlight. Set your fridge to a temperature of 4-5 degrees and your freezer to between minus 18 and minus 13 degrees Celsius. Try and keep a gap of at least five centimeters around you fridge and freezer to allow air to circulate freely.
In the laundry …..
- Try and only use your washing machine when it is full of clothes, only use cold water and allow the clothes to be spun thoroughly.
- Whenever possible line dry your clothes rather than using the clothes dryer, as with the washing machine dry clothes when you have full load, keep the lint filter clean and Sydney electricians recommend not putting clothing in the dryer that is dripping wet
In the bathroom….
- Use your water – especially hot water sensibly – try and limit showers to just 5 minutes, Electrician To The Rescue can install water saving shower heads to help reduce the amount of water and energy used. Try and set your hot water to a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius.
- Switch off all appliances such as electric toothbrushes, radios and hairdryer off at the power point
Outside your home….
- Use timers and sensor for watering and outdoor lighting
- Have the Sydney electricians separate the lighting so you can choose which areas are lit up and when
- Consider using solar powered lighting for areas of your garden and your yard.
Keeping your house cool in summer and warm in winter….
- Keep the doors to unused rooms closed when you are running your air conditioner or heating, why heat or cool a room no one is using. This also means the areas you do want cooled or heated will reach the desired feel sooner.
- Rather than heating your bedroom, consider adding an extra blanket instead. Once in bed you won’t be bothered about the temperate of the room.
- During summer keep outside window shades and curtains closed this stops the heat coming in and keeps our cool air inside. If you can keep a constant inside temperature your air conditioner won’t need to work so hard.
- Never run your air conditioner when you are not home, don’t leave lights or heating/cooling running during the night when you are not there.
- Clean your air conditioner regularly so it doesn’t need as much energy to run.
Electrician To The Rescue hope you have found these tips from your local Sydney electricians helpful. Call us on 1800 893 218 today, or click here to book a job online!